4 Lua projects
Directory for Cooperative Coliving
Website with categorised and filterable listings of coliving spaces for workations.
- Filter flexibility on some classifications as enumerated scales (e.g. outside spaces from terrace to big garden; workspace from bedroom desk to coworking) enabling results to be expanded with degrees of relevence, instead of simply returning unhelpful 'nothing matched'.
- Multi-faceted classification system uses both structured and unstructured tags; which may be grouped by parents, optionally redirecting and hilighting child tags; plus enabling customisation of every view where values are consumed.
- Freeform rates, in which multiple unit classes may be declared with any duration and rate; the system creating summaries of these for common cases (e.g. weekly and monthly rates).
- Given a huge variety of spaces and users, anonymised and unrated reviews to focus the user's attention upon their own interpretations.
- Fallback client-side rendering, should the server be unable to cache Instagram using their private API.
- The use of sorted tags to classify spaces also supports a self-declaration community label/marque using the logo, in which any space may declare itself a "coliving community" by prefixing its core offer or values as tags e.g. «Hub House is a #purposeful #cooperative Coliving Community».
- Data stored in easily edited structured text format (Lua).
- Third-party data sources (e.g. Instagram and Google reviews) cached on the server.
- Passable/overridable filters in URL, as well as settable with cookies. Some data always in-page for instant client-side changes and reduced server processing, and when unspecified shows all spaces with 'disabled' styling thus ensuring all potential results appear on pages for SEO and first-time visitors. If prefs are set or passed the server trims the data set to send a lighter load.
- Unstructured locations and contextual adjustment derived from declared human-friendly strings, e.g. "Barcelona, Spain" only appears as "Barcelona" on the Spain page, but a space may declare it as "near Barcelona" or anything else appropriate for reference instead of displaying simply an unhelpful administrarive name.
- Tag permit optional space specific custom details, e.g. the "meals" tag can be expanded with free-form text such as "full-board included".
- Friendly URLs e.g: coliving.community/in/spain coliving.community/with/pool
- Custom pages can replace or supplement entire categories; CSS can also easily be used to make changes to specific categories.
- Currency conversion with rounding to faciliate user information scanning and consumption.
- Instagram photos only render the two most recent official account photos, also showing both top-ranked and recent location-specific posts (where an Instagram location is known).
2020 — Conception, Web, Content Management
Estate agency SaaS for duHome
Provide a customisable website for estate agencies.
- Fuzzy-logic search, gradually widening search criteria scope when not enough matching results are found, i.e. for every non-matching input criteria a corresponding potentially acceptable criteria would be used instead such as 1 bathroom instead of 2, with these criteria being colour-coded (match versus near-match).
- Comprehensive type-ahead search using multiple sources of data (names, telephones, locations, emails, prices), removing need for time consuming paging of adminstrative list views to find relevent records.
- Use of geohash indexes for high-performance geospatial property search.
- Use of deferred slideshow loading to improve performance and usability (almost unheard of at the time, most solutions simply advancing to to half-downloaded images on a timer, or attempting to download all upon page load despite potentially not subsequently showing them).
- Customer-facing functionality including geographic search and display of properties with mapping and slideshow
- Agent functionalities including search, management of properties
- Agency-owner functionality including customisation and configuration of website, and management of agents
- Support for multiple agency locations per site, and agents per-agency
- Activitiy streams with messaging and notifications for each agency, agent and property
- Signup for new agencies (clients) with a default name-derived subdomain
- Automatic geo-location and address completion when adding properties
- Image upload and optimisation for slideshows
- Email notifications when agents are not active on site
- Property owner CRM with agent association
- Editable print view with QR code for window display
- Utilisation of Moonstalk's internationsalistion, geospatial data, type-ahead search, and notification features
2011 — Conception, Web, Content Management
Website for Moonlighting
Manage new member registrations, room bookings and accounts for a combined coworking and accommodation provider.
- Disucssion list emails are handled through a bespoke system that appends a member's presence status and profile to their messages, and also rejects posts from expired members or on lists for which they don't have priveleges, thus removing the usual requirement of additional disucssion list adminstration.
- Automatic checkin using MAC address detection on the LAN when a member connects.
- Member directory and CRM
- Checkin system to indicate daily member presence
- Per-resource (e.g. bedroom) availability calendar
- Member accounts and bookings
- Meal booking and payment
- Staff task views (e.g. to see when rooms are being vacated, and how many meals must be prepared)
- Email and web discussions for members and staff
2011 — Conception, Web, Social
Moonstalk for The Moon Mill
Open-source web development framework and hosting stack using Lua.
- Automated filesystem to URL mapping for sites and applications, with no configuration necessary before use (including web server)
- Includes a bespoke low-latency NoSQL database which shares the web application environment and functions, whilst also supporting a task queue with seperate processes
- Internationalisation and localisation including handling for plurals and GeoIP
- Best-practice handling of script-loading, CDN assets, canonical tags, addressing, salted passwords, microcaching, deployment (via dCVS), etc.
- Many supplementary applications providing functionality ranging from calendaring to geospatial search
2010 — Conception, Server, API