38 Web projects
Directory for Cooperative Coliving
Website with categorised and filterable listings of coliving spaces for workations.
- Filter flexibility on some classifications as enumerated scales (e.g. outside spaces from terrace to big garden; workspace from bedroom desk to coworking) enabling results to be expanded with degrees of relevence, instead of simply returning unhelpful 'nothing matched'.
- Multi-faceted classification system uses both structured and unstructured tags; which may be grouped by parents, optionally redirecting and hilighting child tags; plus enabling customisation of every view where values are consumed.
- Freeform rates, in which multiple unit classes may be declared with any duration and rate; the system creating summaries of these for common cases (e.g. weekly and monthly rates).
- Given a huge variety of spaces and users, anonymised and unrated reviews to focus the user's attention upon their own interpretations.
- Fallback client-side rendering, should the server be unable to cache Instagram using their private API.
- The use of sorted tags to classify spaces also supports a self-declaration community label/marque using the logo, in which any space may declare itself a "coliving community" by prefixing its core offer or values as tags e.g. «Hub House is a #purposeful #cooperative Coliving Community».
- Data stored in easily edited structured text format (Lua).
- Third-party data sources (e.g. Instagram and Google reviews) cached on the server.
- Passable/overridable filters in URL, as well as settable with cookies. Some data always in-page for instant client-side changes and reduced server processing, and when unspecified shows all spaces with 'disabled' styling thus ensuring all potential results appear on pages for SEO and first-time visitors. If prefs are set or passed the server trims the data set to send a lighter load.
- Unstructured locations and contextual adjustment derived from declared human-friendly strings, e.g. "Barcelona, Spain" only appears as "Barcelona" on the Spain page, but a space may declare it as "near Barcelona" or anything else appropriate for reference instead of displaying simply an unhelpful administrarive name.
- Tag permit optional space specific custom details, e.g. the "meals" tag can be expanded with free-form text such as "full-board included".
- Friendly URLs e.g: coliving.community/in/spain coliving.community/with/pool
- Custom pages can replace or supplement entire categories; CSS can also easily be used to make changes to specific categories.
- Currency conversion with rounding to faciliate user information scanning and consumption.
- Instagram photos only render the two most recent official account photos, also showing both top-ranked and recent location-specific posts (where an Instagram location is known).
2020 — Conception, Web, Content Management
Scouting and plans for Hub House
Identify and evaluate properties for operation with a cooperative coliving model.
- Novel multistakeholder model combining both investment returns as a hospitality business, and flexible fractional ownership, supported by a strong community-interest operation reducing overheads.
- Space planning for several properties permitted the use of split-level mezzanine designs optimising the number of private units (similar to Zoku).
- Crowdfunded ownership, with pledges obtained through direct outreach and marketing to potential members. (A propotion allocated for investors has not yet been raised, however some leads were generated simultaneously.
- database and public portal listing and enabling discussion amongst candidates
- ranking system to more easily identify candidates based upon rated criteria
- most of the properties involve the replacement of extremely large numbers of windows, thus sourcing was researched from China, to reduce the otherwise significant fitout costs (despite tariffs)
- some properties include adequate capacity for multi-use event spaces, further diversifiying potential revenue and uses, especially for remote team offsites
2019 — Space Planning, Community,
Website for Playworking
Responsive interim website for a destinational coliving space offering outdoor activities.
Startup Weekend—Fashion for Souk in the City
Pitch for a MENA-focussed fashion marketplace during a startup event.
- The website mockups focus on a content rich magazine-style layout that brings products to the fore in an entertaining manner rarely used on ecomerce sites, it also provided thematic views. (This approach was originally concecived for my own marketplace platform.)
- The logo was quickly prototyped to convey the diversity and colourfulness of the region, whilst being grounded in modernity with a lighweight clean typeface.
- A slidedeck was produced, communicating the business case and opportunities for such a startup.
2014 — Design, Brand, E-commerce
B2B Rental Marketplace for HSS
Bring an existing business and its processes online and up-to-date using a marketplace mediating with third-party suppliers.
- Multiple pricing and comission models to support both owned assets and third-party assets
- Per-class (category, product or variant) cascading inherited attributes, with ancestor and descendant overrides providing a variety of ways to control how suppliers add new items and values
- Mediated messaging, with client-supplier messaging relayed through an operator
- Supplier auctioning with deferred (countdown) booking assignments in cases of unknown availability
- Collection options using geolocation
- Flexible delivery class calculations assignable per-category and postcode
- Geographical search ranking availability of items with delivery constraints
- Ability for an operator to easily swap their CMS view to that of a supplier (delegate authentication) when handling operations by telephone
- Categorised product (and variant) listings with search
- Bespoke CMS handling categories, products and their variants with dynamic attributes
- Booking functionality (not calendared)
- CMS and API for suppliers
- Mobile app with push notifications and messaging for suppliers and customers
- Multi-device and multi-role authentication and notification settings
2014 — Architecture, Web, E-commerce
Product Website for Esofaber
Site to promote and sell a specific product line.
- Bespoke image slider handling multiple content parts (image, title, subtitle, price, inset image) and integrated as the core compoent of the page layout
- Image slider waits for the next slide's image to finish loading before progressing to that slide (a common issue on slower connections with every other slider implementation)
- Shows the name of the next item in the slider
- Responsive design (adapts to screen size and orientation such as for tablets)
- Feature products in the front page slider simply with tagging
- Automatic slider with manual controls
- Web fonts (to match the product aesthetic)
- Localised prices and shipping notices
2011 — Design, Web, E-commerce
Estate agency SaaS for duHome
Provide a customisable website for estate agencies.
- Fuzzy-logic search, gradually widening search criteria scope when not enough matching results are found, i.e. for every non-matching input criteria a corresponding potentially acceptable criteria would be used instead such as 1 bathroom instead of 2, with these criteria being colour-coded (match versus near-match).
- Comprehensive type-ahead search using multiple sources of data (names, telephones, locations, emails, prices), removing need for time consuming paging of adminstrative list views to find relevent records.
- Use of geohash indexes for high-performance geospatial property search.
- Use of deferred slideshow loading to improve performance and usability (almost unheard of at the time, most solutions simply advancing to to half-downloaded images on a timer, or attempting to download all upon page load despite potentially not subsequently showing them).
- Customer-facing functionality including geographic search and display of properties with mapping and slideshow
- Agent functionalities including search, management of properties
- Agency-owner functionality including customisation and configuration of website, and management of agents
- Support for multiple agency locations per site, and agents per-agency
- Activitiy streams with messaging and notifications for each agency, agent and property
- Signup for new agencies (clients) with a default name-derived subdomain
- Automatic geo-location and address completion when adding properties
- Image upload and optimisation for slideshows
- Email notifications when agents are not active on site
- Property owner CRM with agent association
- Editable print view with QR code for window display
- Utilisation of Moonstalk's internationsalistion, geospatial data, type-ahead search, and notification features
2011 — Conception, Web, Content Management
Website for Moonlighting
Manage new member registrations, room bookings and accounts for a combined coworking and accommodation provider.
- Disucssion list emails are handled through a bespoke system that appends a member's presence status and profile to their messages, and also rejects posts from expired members or on lists for which they don't have priveleges, thus removing the usual requirement of additional disucssion list adminstration.
- Automatic checkin using MAC address detection on the LAN when a member connects.
- Member directory and CRM
- Checkin system to indicate daily member presence
- Per-resource (e.g. bedroom) availability calendar
- Member accounts and bookings
- Meal booking and payment
- Staff task views (e.g. to see when rooms are being vacated, and how many meals must be prepared)
- Email and web discussions for members and staff
2011 — Conception, Web, Social
Marketplace for Verse
SaaS platform for small independant retailers, with a focus on curation and provenance, including product blogs and stock-control.
- Customisable magazine style multi-product 'display' layouts, using an impactful large format image tagged with the products, with their data (price, links) automatically populated.
- Uncluttered single product layouts with clear call to actions and availability.
2009 — Design, Web, Content Management
API Gateway for Pixelpipe
An API gateway server accepting media uploads from clients using a wide variety of supported APIs, and re-broadcast them to well over 50 different service providers.
- Deferred batching to accept multiple uploads over a configurable timeframe, and then re-broadcast them together as an album or single blog post after no more items had arrived (instead of individually upon arrival).
- Utilisation of special 'routing' tags, allowing uploaded media to be dispatched to specific accounts or groups of accounts simply using a tag, thus avoiding the need for specific client routing UI, and instead using a client's native tagging UI.
- Prioritised image processing queue with service provider connection constraints
- Service provider error aggregation and reporting to quicly idenitfy and prioritise API issue resolution with destination service providers
- Support for multitudinous client upload APIs including metaweblog and Flickr, which with DNS spoofing enabled official clients to be used with the server
- Bespoke upload applications and Plug-ins including iPhone, Aperture, Windows Live Gallery and integration with Nokia share
- Support for hosting uploads directly on the service, including views for user streams, albums and individual photos
2008 — Management, Server, Photo
PictureSync Website for Verse
Seperate site with service-provider/affiliate specific branding and downloads via referrer or argument.
- Ability to serve a ready-to-use service-provider specific download, hiding the other supported providers from the user.
Social Networking Site for Indivibe
Design and build a nightlife events publishing and social networking site with regional versions.
- Photo upload with user, location and event galleries
- Location and user profiles with public and private messaging
- Friending with reciprical relationship indication ('strength')
- Simple colour-coordinated navigation
- Options to feature/hilight photos and sponsored events/locations
- Watermarked photos
2006 — Development, Web, Social
Folio Concept for Verse
Product concept, branding and website for professionally-oriented photo portfolio service.
- SaaS with SSL on MivaScript
- Flexible CSS boxes with custom edge and corner frames
- Research on hosting latencies for optimal single-location US deployment across metro areas
2005 — Design, Web, Photo
Website for Verse
Mac software publisher
- Combined version tracking and licence verification protocol (between webserver and desktop application), with an entirely web-based activation procedure (transparent licence key) [see the blog]
- Purchasing integration with PayPal
- Software licence generation and activation
- Software version tracking and usage reporting
Customer Satisfaction Survey for Romec
- User authentication and registration with assignment of multiple surveys
- Data capture forms in multiple parts with user-specific variations
- Dynamic reporting (employing logical filters), and Excel-compatable export",
- innovations = "Modular storage and analysis code base, - extensible, reusable and configurable (via plain text file)
- Recursive analysis (comparison between results)
2004 — Layout, Web, Content Management
Website for Esofaber
Site for furniture and interiors firm.
Works Access Authorisation for DigiPlex
Migrate a paper-based business process management system to the web.
- Fully integrated system with multiple views (manager, reception, contractor) providing process filing and review mechanisms (with per-report activity log)
- Document upload facility
- User registration and authentication
- Multiple languages",
- innovations = "Streamlined the original paper-based process by elminating duplicated data, employing cross-referencing and implementing a status based approval process.
2004 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
Website Design for SpinHalf
Web Promotion for Brightablind
Promotional site for service provider.
Continuity Management System for DigiPlex
Online best-practice incident reporting procedure automation for a datacentre.
- Forms guiding a user through the incident reporting process, including providing multiple points of contact according to availability
- Backend databases and administration for locations, contacts (multiple internal and external roles, with individual calendar-based availability and regional holidays)
- Backend reporting for incidents by location with highest severity identification
- Email notifications with normal and priority addresses (for SMS)
- User authentication with anonymous 'SOS' login
- Multi-language support
2002 — Development, Web, Content Management
Website for Information Facilities Management
Upgrade UK industry portal from basic HTML to a dynamic CMS with subscription-based access.
- Integrated support within the CMS and layouts for topicis, related links and other metadata, enabling extensive cross-referencing between content areas.
- Login authentication system preventing simultaneous use of accounts and providing usage statistics for identifcation of potential abuse.
- Winner of multiple Business Services Association awards
- Migration to dyanmic architecture
- Implementation of subscription-based access (user and group based)
- Card payment authorisation system (via gateway)
- News and features CMS (with enhanced metadata support)
- Incorporation and adaption of banner system (off the shelf Perl)
2001 — Architecture, Web, E-commerce
Website for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
Upgrade of site for service provider.
- Dynamic content selection with fallbacks for overlapping country/language static content employing dynamic URLs and a metadata store
- Publishing of short video editorials
- Visitor survey (bespoke aquisition with off the shelf desktop analysis)
- Automatic what's new feature using the metadata store
- Heirachical structure for 100+ pages with multiple regions and languages
- Press area including image gallery, PDF clippings and video editorials
- Callback request facility
- Registration-only articles
2001 — Design, Web, Content Management
Website for Aspect Education
Redevelop consumer site for international education provider.
- enrollment forms and cost calculator for courses and locations (200+ combinations with 7,000 dates and further options)
- CMS with multi-region and language capabilities, for page content, plus news and jobs
- Course finder (narrows choices through a multi-stage questionaire)
- Co-branded version for affiliates (distinct logo and contact details)
- Messaged board
2001 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
Website for UniqueYou
Consumer relationship support site with extensive articles.
- Highlighting of new content and comments only since last visit
- Online payment aquisition for offline processing using (secured) email
- Heirachical CMS with multiple content types
- User authentication with guest, member and subscriber access
- Card payment aquisition system
- User comments system (per article)
2001 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
Toshiba for Complet Computer Cover
Sales site for computer insurance provider
- Uses the WebShop system (listed elsewhere)
E-Tendering for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
Auction system for online tendering.
- CMS for users and auctions
- Options for unlisted auctions and anonymous bidding
- Basic auction system with listing, bid history, and place bid function
- Map UI for direct access to pre-defined regional auctions
2000 — Architecture, Web, E-commerce
Website for Student Watchout
Insurance sales site targetted at students.
- Second-place in the Computer Weekly e-Business Awards 2001
- Uses the seperately developed Webshop system
- Affiliate tracking and backroom reports
2000 — Design, Web, E-commerce
Online Delivery for Building Economics Bureau
Site for data publishing agency with subscription-based access to retreive datasets online.
- generation of repetitive array-processing code during database updates for execution at runtime (providing improved performance)
- Subscriptions module (usage and time based) for the (seperately developed) WebShop system
- Backend database import/upload with automated dyanamic ToC-code generation (from hand-formatted Excel export)
- Browsing of multiple distinct databases via static/dynamic ToC (depending on database structure) and data record page
2000 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
WebShop System for Enigma
Comprehensive modular E-Commerce framework for deployment in various client sites.
- Whilst having similar functionality to Miva Merchant v2 (current at the time of development) this bespoke solution provided extensive options for custom integration. See the other E-commerce projects on here for some specific deployments.
- Shopping basket and wish-list supporting custom price calculators with multiple input variables
- Discounts (static and dynamic, from codes or links)
- Subscriptions (time and useage based)
- Affiliate tracking
- User accounts with multiple addresses per-user
- Product-specific supplementary requirements
- Distinct order and payment statuses
- Product availability restrictions (with potential for stock keeping)
2000 — Development, Web, E-commerce
Website for Summit Support Services
Site for service provider
- Dyanmic template loading static pages
- Pasword protected pages for access to standard documents (extranet)
E-Card for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
Dispatch system for employees to email Christmas cards.
- Form to customise card display and select from several company brands, and option to select a charity to make a donation to (per sender)
- HTML email dispatch with server-side copy in case of viewing problems
- Logging of senders and recipients
1999 — Architecture, Web, Social
Executive Schedule for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
Concept system for personnel coordination.
- Multi user calendar with event input
- User authentication and privileges",
- innovations = "Per-user key-based access to features (e.g. viewing, editing of specific calendars and events)
1999 — Architecture, Web, Calendar
Website for ASHTAV
Site for UK association.
- Member database with profile editor
Website for S.Com
Multi-country sites for recruitment consultants.
- Use of multiple frames with targetted reload for secondary navigation.
Website for British Institute of Facilities Management
Stakeholder site for UK industry organisation with 16k users.
- User authentication and profiles
- Backend database import and update routines (from MS Access export)
- Member directory (categorised browsing)
- Business directory (search and browse, with selective positioning)
- Staff directory (multiple group memberships)
- Message board (simple threading and archiving, with email notifications)
- Job listings (with agency-specific CMS access)
- Administration functions for all CMS/databases (with ACLs)
- Document storage/fileshare employing WebDAV upload (with ACLs) and per-user public folders
- Document library (categorised browsing)
- Transparent loading of external content (news feed and externally generated pages) into templates
1999 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
Website for AGET
Site for language translation agency.
Intranet for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
Improve the usability and presentation across an intranet uniformally, following a rebranding of the company.
- Color coding of tabs and areas for ease of identification (in an earlier implementation).
1999 — Design, Web, Social
Website for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
First site for service provider.