Identify and evaluate properties for operation with a cooperative coliving model.
Types: Community, Real Estate, Web; Roles: Space Planning, Scouting, Conception; Functions:
- Novel multistakeholder model combining both investment returns as a hospitality business, and flexible fractional ownership, supported by a strong community-interest operation reducing overheads.
- Space planning for several properties permitted the use of split-level mezzanine designs optimising the number of private units (similar to Zoku).
- Crowdfunded ownership, with pledges obtained through direct outreach and marketing to potential members. (A propotion allocated for investors has not yet been raised, however some leads were generated simultaneously.
- database and public portal listing and enabling discussion amongst candidates
- ranking system to more easily identify candidates based upon rated criteria
- most of the properties involve the replacement of extremely large numbers of windows, thus sourcing was researched from China, to reduce the otherwise significant fitout costs (despite tariffs)
- some properties include adequate capacity for multi-use event spaces, further diversifiying potential revenue and uses, especially for remote team offsites
Employed a comprehensive process to identify and refine potential properties from initial evaluation, cadastral searches, through preliminary floor plans and conversion/fitout costs for a final proposition finishing with visits involving community members, and local officials.
See the reports on properties below for more details including floorplans. The database of properties includes many without reports due to being lower matches, yet still having potential such as, #137 (southern France), #104 (UK), #108 (Portugal), #114 (central France), and many others…
The project is ongoing but may be re-oriented with less community/impact for a more commercial venture proposition.