3 projects for Moonlighting
Establish a house in Delhi with facilities for both coworking and accommodation.
Types: Community, Real Estate; Roles: Space Planning, Scouting, Conception, Management, Design, Marketing, Sales, Support, Training, Interior Design; Functions: Hospitality, Social, Living Space, Workspace;
- First coworking space in Delhi, and one of first few in India.
- First open-access space offering both coworking and accommodation for those visiting from further afield.
- Bespoke furniture constructions including large-span communal tables using wood with internal (hidden) iron dowels
- Regular community events and meals
- 8 en-suite bedrooms amd 1 bunkroom (convertible between 4 bunks, or 1 double)
- Live-in cook and 2 kitchens
- Cleaning, housekeeping and security staff
- Mixed-use lobby, lounge and dining space with A/V system
- Coworking desks (and monitors)
- Colourful paint and fabrics to enliven the otherwise drab interior
A social enterprise project funded by myself, as a low-budget experiement to test a mixed-use approaching combining coworking with mixed-model coliving, both short and longer stays. I located the property, staff and resources, established the management processes, acted as the initial host for vistors (including handling bookings), coordinated local trade suppliers (including providing designs for furniture made on site—tables, desks and bunk beds), and set in motion the marketing. These responsibilities were subsequently delegated to a local director.
Manage new member registrations, room bookings and accounts for a combined coworking and accommodation provider.
Types: Web; Roles: Conception, Management, Development, Layout; Functions: Social, Calendar; Tools: Lua, Moonstalk, Email.
- Disucssion list emails are handled through a bespoke system that appends a member's presence status and profile to their messages, and also rejects posts from expired members or on lists for which they don't have priveleges, thus removing the usual requirement of additional disucssion list adminstration.
- Automatic checkin using MAC address detection on the LAN when a member connects.
- Member directory and CRM
- Checkin system to indicate daily member presence
- Per-resource (e.g. bedroom) availability calendar
- Member accounts and bookings
- Meal booking and payment
- Staff task views (e.g. to see when rooms are being vacated, and how many meals must be prepared)
- Email and web discussions for members and staff
Implemented as a MVP in ongoing use and development.
Lajpat Nagar 2015
Fitout of a new coworking space.
Types: Community, Real Estate; Roles: Space Planning, Conception, Management, Design, Interior Design; Functions: Hospitality, Workspace;
- Partnered with an emerging streetartist to create a Steve Wozniak mural, providing him with exposure, and an atypical but recognisable portrait that prominanetly features in the social media posts of visitors, becoming strongly associated with the space.
- 6 private offices in an ancillary block at the rear of the space, ensuring the core community space is not overly influenced by predeominantly static users.
- Two dedicated hotdesk rooms, plus flexible use of common space for events, and also featuring standing deskspace.
Fit out included space planning around what was previously a ground floor apartment, involving placing new doorways and blocking existing passages to optimise use of floorspace and flow of people.
Whilst originally intended as a new mixed-use Moonlighting space, plans changed and accommodation was not developed, instead those rooms were allocated as additional private officesm, with management handed over to CoworkIn.