Passionate about identity, resilience and the ‘slow’ philosophy.
«What do you do?»
I apply multidisciplinary design to product and process, wherever opportunity or introspection strikes. I mainly work with online projects, yet have experience extending from conceptualisation through to marketing, on varied projects as diverse as interior design and web-service APIs.
I predominantly offer software/application architecture consulting and independent development team execution (resourcing, training, management, support). I may however consult on and review discrete facets such as UX or API specifications.
I am also active in the development of hospitality spaces that foster communities, ideas and their associated lifestyles — particularly coworking and mixed-use models that support entrepreneurship.
Sectors that I am focussed upon are: e-Commerce / Marketplaces, Publishing / Identity, Decoration / Interiors / Fashion, Hospitality / Intentional Communities / Real Estate, Distributed Computing / SaaS.
- OpenBoutique, open-source webshop app (not yet released). Founder, primary developer. For independent retailers, a lowcost extremely high-performance and easily adapted alternative to the likes of self-hosted and desperately slow Magento, Woocommerce, and also the better performing yet less customisable hosted SaaS such as Shopify. A future proprietary layer will enable marketplace deployments.
- Moonlighting, ‘nomad’ hubs (2009—ongoing). Founder, new location development. Mixed-use spaces providing both short/mid-term coliving with open-access coworking. Previously India, relaunching in Morocco soon.
- Moonstalk, open-source webapp framework (2009–ongoing). Founder, primary developer. Conceived for a full-stack approach and low-latency out-of-the-box. An ideal platform for sites typically hacked together on a blog CMS. Bundles a number of prototypes for applications needing calendaring, geospatial data, activity streams, user authentication, etc.
- UK B2B marketplace; development lead and consulting (Lisbon/New Delhi, 2013–2014)
- uVerse Ltd. —digital media solutions; Founder
- Pixelpipe Inc. —photo sharing; Chief Plumber
- Enigma Publishing Ltd. —marketing communications; Technical Director
- Esofaber —interior and window design; Partner
These projects are shelved, or only partially implemented. I'm always experimenting with concepts and models, rarely getting around to building them into businesses. If you'd like to partner and do just that, I'm listening… For more comprehensive examples see my Portfolio.
- duHome, SaaS for real-estate agencies (2011). Featuring geospatial weighted search, team messaging, customisable websites. Webapp built to alpha, requiring work on tablet and service-provider elements. Could incorporate/pivot for hospitality/rental functionality.
- Moonstalk PaaS, cloud webapp platform (concept). Simple deployment and customisation of webapps. Could enable SaaS deployments such as to synchronise with or migrate to/from off-cloud private infrastructure on demand.
- Coworking/Staying, community/hospitality SaaS (2011–ongoing). Functionality to support Moonlighting featuring account management, resource booking (i.e. rooms, meals), profiles and network messaging. Partial implementation with minor ongoing development.
- PictureSync, photosharing application (2004–2009). Desktop application providing a standardised inter-application image and video annotation and upload, employing novel API abstraction and process pipelines. Achieved wide user base and rollout with partners.
- MediaSock open-source media-sharing library (2005–2008). C#.NET abstraction for access to photo and video sharing web service APIs. Deployed in a Windows application and Flex webapp.
- Subsume, desktop presence app (’08). Novel prototype application to monitor network connections for neighbour activity and automate rule-based user status updates to social networks.
- OnDeck, iTunes presence app (2003–2006). Integrated with various web services to publish listening activity (and track artwork). Employed novel predictive polling to reduce CPU overhead.
This is a temporary site. Served by Moonstalk on an 8-core Linode in London.