12 Social projects
Directory for Cooperative Coliving
Website with categorised and filterable listings of coliving spaces for workations.
- Filter flexibility on some classifications as enumerated scales (e.g. outside spaces from terrace to big garden; workspace from bedroom desk to coworking) enabling results to be expanded with degrees of relevence, instead of simply returning unhelpful 'nothing matched'.
- Multi-faceted classification system uses both structured and unstructured tags; which may be grouped by parents, optionally redirecting and hilighting child tags; plus enabling customisation of every view where values are consumed.
- Freeform rates, in which multiple unit classes may be declared with any duration and rate; the system creating summaries of these for common cases (e.g. weekly and monthly rates).
- Given a huge variety of spaces and users, anonymised and unrated reviews to focus the user's attention upon their own interpretations.
- Fallback client-side rendering, should the server be unable to cache Instagram using their private API.
- The use of sorted tags to classify spaces also supports a self-declaration community label/marque using the logo, in which any space may declare itself a "coliving community" by prefixing its core offer or values as tags e.g. «Hub House is a #purposeful #cooperative Coliving Community».
- Data stored in easily edited structured text format (Lua).
- Third-party data sources (e.g. Instagram and Google reviews) cached on the server.
- Passable/overridable filters in URL, as well as settable with cookies. Some data always in-page for instant client-side changes and reduced server processing, and when unspecified shows all spaces with 'disabled' styling thus ensuring all potential results appear on pages for SEO and first-time visitors. If prefs are set or passed the server trims the data set to send a lighter load.
- Unstructured locations and contextual adjustment derived from declared human-friendly strings, e.g. "Barcelona, Spain" only appears as "Barcelona" on the Spain page, but a space may declare it as "near Barcelona" or anything else appropriate for reference instead of displaying simply an unhelpful administrarive name.
- Tag permit optional space specific custom details, e.g. the "meals" tag can be expanded with free-form text such as "full-board included".
- Friendly URLs e.g: coliving.community/in/spain coliving.community/with/pool
- Custom pages can replace or supplement entire categories; CSS can also easily be used to make changes to specific categories.
- Currency conversion with rounding to faciliate user information scanning and consumption.
- Instagram photos only render the two most recent official account photos, also showing both top-ranked and recent location-specific posts (where an Instagram location is known).
2020 — Conception, Web, Content Management
Popup Event for Warp aur Weft
Guidance and support for an ephemeral shopping event at MonkeyBar in New Delhi.
2014 — Design, Community, Social
Estate agency SaaS for duHome
Provide a customisable website for estate agencies.
- Fuzzy-logic search, gradually widening search criteria scope when not enough matching results are found, i.e. for every non-matching input criteria a corresponding potentially acceptable criteria would be used instead such as 1 bathroom instead of 2, with these criteria being colour-coded (match versus near-match).
- Comprehensive type-ahead search using multiple sources of data (names, telephones, locations, emails, prices), removing need for time consuming paging of adminstrative list views to find relevent records.
- Use of geohash indexes for high-performance geospatial property search.
- Use of deferred slideshow loading to improve performance and usability (almost unheard of at the time, most solutions simply advancing to to half-downloaded images on a timer, or attempting to download all upon page load despite potentially not subsequently showing them).
- Customer-facing functionality including geographic search and display of properties with mapping and slideshow
- Agent functionalities including search, management of properties
- Agency-owner functionality including customisation and configuration of website, and management of agents
- Support for multiple agency locations per site, and agents per-agency
- Activitiy streams with messaging and notifications for each agency, agent and property
- Signup for new agencies (clients) with a default name-derived subdomain
- Automatic geo-location and address completion when adding properties
- Image upload and optimisation for slideshows
- Email notifications when agents are not active on site
- Property owner CRM with agent association
- Editable print view with QR code for window display
- Utilisation of Moonstalk's internationsalistion, geospatial data, type-ahead search, and notification features
2011 — Conception, Web, Content Management
Website for Moonlighting
Manage new member registrations, room bookings and accounts for a combined coworking and accommodation provider.
- Disucssion list emails are handled through a bespoke system that appends a member's presence status and profile to their messages, and also rejects posts from expired members or on lists for which they don't have priveleges, thus removing the usual requirement of additional disucssion list adminstration.
- Automatic checkin using MAC address detection on the LAN when a member connects.
- Member directory and CRM
- Checkin system to indicate daily member presence
- Per-resource (e.g. bedroom) availability calendar
- Member accounts and bookings
- Meal booking and payment
- Staff task views (e.g. to see when rooms are being vacated, and how many meals must be prepared)
- Email and web discussions for members and staff
2011 — Conception, Web, Social
Delhi for Moonlighting
Establish a house in Delhi with facilities for both coworking and accommodation.
- First coworking space in Delhi, and one of first few in India.
- First open-access space offering both coworking and accommodation for those visiting from further afield.
- Bespoke furniture constructions including large-span communal tables using wood with internal (hidden) iron dowels
- Regular community events and meals
- 8 en-suite bedrooms amd 1 bunkroom (convertible between 4 bunks, or 1 double)
- Live-in cook and 2 kitchens
- Cleaning, housekeeping and security staff
- Mixed-use lobby, lounge and dining space with A/V system
- Coworking desks (and monitors)
- Colourful paint and fabrics to enliven the otherwise drab interior
2010 — Space Planning, Community, Hospitality
Social Networking Site for Indivibe
Design and build a nightlife events publishing and social networking site with regional versions.
- Photo upload with user, location and event galleries
- Location and user profiles with public and private messaging
- Friending with reciprical relationship indication ('strength')
- Simple colour-coordinated navigation
- Options to feature/hilight photos and sponsored events/locations
- Watermarked photos
2006 — Development, Web, Social
Website for Information Facilities Management
Upgrade UK industry portal from basic HTML to a dynamic CMS with subscription-based access.
- Integrated support within the CMS and layouts for topicis, related links and other metadata, enabling extensive cross-referencing between content areas.
- Login authentication system preventing simultaneous use of accounts and providing usage statistics for identifcation of potential abuse.
- Winner of multiple Business Services Association awards
- Migration to dyanmic architecture
- Implementation of subscription-based access (user and group based)
- Card payment authorisation system (via gateway)
- News and features CMS (with enhanced metadata support)
- Incorporation and adaption of banner system (off the shelf Perl)
2001 — Architecture, Web, E-commerce
Website for Aspect Education
Redevelop consumer site for international education provider.
- enrollment forms and cost calculator for courses and locations (200+ combinations with 7,000 dates and further options)
- CMS with multi-region and language capabilities, for page content, plus news and jobs
- Course finder (narrows choices through a multi-stage questionaire)
- Co-branded version for affiliates (distinct logo and contact details)
- Messaged board
2001 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
Website for UniqueYou
Consumer relationship support site with extensive articles.
- Highlighting of new content and comments only since last visit
- Online payment aquisition for offline processing using (secured) email
- Heirachical CMS with multiple content types
- User authentication with guest, member and subscriber access
- Card payment aquisition system
- User comments system (per article)
2001 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
E-Card for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
Dispatch system for employees to email Christmas cards.
- Form to customise card display and select from several company brands, and option to select a charity to make a donation to (per sender)
- HTML email dispatch with server-side copy in case of viewing problems
- Logging of senders and recipients
1999 — Architecture, Web, Social
Website for British Institute of Facilities Management
Stakeholder site for UK industry organisation with 16k users.
- User authentication and profiles
- Backend database import and update routines (from MS Access export)
- Member directory (categorised browsing)
- Business directory (search and browse, with selective positioning)
- Staff directory (multiple group memberships)
- Message board (simple threading and archiving, with email notifications)
- Job listings (with agency-specific CMS access)
- Administration functions for all CMS/databases (with ACLs)
- Document storage/fileshare employing WebDAV upload (with ACLs) and per-user public folders
- Document library (categorised browsing)
- Transparent loading of external content (news feed and externally generated pages) into templates
1999 — Architecture, Web, Content Management
Intranet for CBX / Sulzer Infra FM / Axima FM
Improve the usability and presentation across an intranet uniformally, following a rebranding of the company.
- Color coding of tabs and areas for ease of identification (in an earlier implementation).
1999 — Design, Web, Social